In October 2020 new versión Oracle APEX 20.2 was released. This post lists the new features of this version.
New Cards Region
The new Cards region provides easy customization of nearly every aspect of the card UI, including the layout, appearance, icon, badge, media, advanced HTML expressions that support client-side templating, and for the first time, the ability to define multiple actions per card. This means that you can include any number of actions, such as links or buttons, on a single card, all without writing a single line of code.
- New Native Report Region Type
- Useful for presenting a variety of information in small blocks
- Can be displayed in three styles, with icons or initials, images as part of the body or as the background
- Can embed images from BLOB column, URL or video in iFrame
- Actions can be added to each card’s image, title, subtitle, as new buttons or even using the entire card
- Fully declarative, but still flexible to customize
- Can be used with Faceted Search
Automations are a conditional set of actions that are automatically triggered by changes that occur within database tables or remote data sources. They are used to monitor data and then perform the appropriate action (examples are auto-approving specific requests and sending email alerts). An automation can be triggered on Schedule or on Demand, by invoking the APEX_AUTOMATION API.
Query results can be derived from:
- Table or View, SQL Query or a PL/SQL function returning a SQL Query
- Local Database or REST Enabled SQL
- REST Data Source
Faceted Search Enhancements
The Faceted Search has been improved with the following functionalities:
*Visualization of current facet value counts as a bar or pie chart in a dialog or ‘dashboard’ area.
* Groups of checkbox facets for Boolean columns.
* Input Field facet type supports user-entered value with the facet column
The Report Printing has been improved with the following functionalities:
- Built-in PDF printing and Native Excel download for Interactive Reports, Interactive Grids and Classic Reports
- Interactive Report –Send as Email: All download formats can now be attached
- Export Data Only for Interactive Reports and Interactive Grids
- Enhanced integration with BI Publisher
- Workspace-level configuration of new BI Publisher API that supports authentication
- Allows for configuring the Oracle Analytics Cloud Service as a print server when using APEX on the Autonomous Database
- New APEX_REGION.EXPORT_DATA and APEX_DATA_EXPORTAPIs to generate PDF, CSV, Excel, HTML, JSON and XML files programmatically.
REST Data Source Synchronization
Changes introduced in the new version regarding the synchronization with REST data sources are the following:
- Web Source Module is renamed as REST Data Source
- APEX declaratively supports data synchronization from a REST Data Source to a local table
- Generates local target table automatically
- Allows Append, Merge and Replace synchronization types
- APEX components using the REST Data Source can use the local table instead
- You can configure HTTP request limits, commit intervals or delete methods for the Replace mode
REST Data Source Connector Plug-ins
The APEX Plug-In infrastructure has been extended to support Connector Plug-Ins for external REST APIs. (APEX natively supports ORDS and Oracle Fusion SaaS Services today).
- APEX now supports Connector Plug-Ins for external REST APIs
- Enable APEX to fully leverage REST API features like result pagination or server-side filtering
- Allow 3rd Party REST Services which are not ORDS or Oracle Fusion SaaS Services
New Web Credential Types
- Use the secure and encrypted credential storage for more credential types
- New URL Query String and HTTP Header types for Web Credentials
- A web credential can now be protected by providing a URL pattern
- APEX Will only use the web credential for URLs starting with the given pattern; otherwise an error message will be raised
- Universal Theme now supports a new Redwood Light theme style, available via Theme Roller
- Refresh your existing apps to uptake the latest version of Universal Theme and this new theme style
- Page Designer now supports multiple tabs in the Property Editor pane, making it more efficient to access the attributes of a region.
- Select the region, and then the Attributes and Printing (if appropriate) tabs will appear in the Property Editor next to the Region tab.
Page Designer in Oracle APEX 20.1 Page Designer in Oracle APEX 20.2
- Oracle APEX now uses Monaco Editor to provide a vastly improved coding experience throughout the development environment. The new editor provides in-context code completion, syntax highlighting, and superior accessibility.
- Quick SQL now enables you to save and load data models, provides automatic primary key column defaults, and delivers far better coding experience with improved syntax highlighting and autocompletion for table and column directives.
New and Improved Items
- New single Checkboxitem type that works in Interactive Grid as well, even when not in edit mode.
- File Browse item type has been enhanced to support rendering as a drag and drop zone.
- Rich Text Editor item type has been upgraded to use CKEditor5and now supports markdown output.
- Field item type has a new Text Case setting to optionally transform the user-entered text to upper or lower case. The Text Field Trim Spaces and Text Case settings and Textarea Trim Spaces settings are now applied on the client as well as the server.
Below are a number of additional features:
- Tree region type has been enhanced to support lazy loading and refresh without having to reload the full page.
- Linking to Interactive Grid saved reports should use the saved report static ID instead of the report name. With APEX 20.2, the APEX_IG API has been updated to require using the saved report static ID rather than the report name, when linking to Interactive Grids.
- APEX_WEB_SERVICE API has been enhanced to support sending the payload of a REST request in multipart/form-data format.
- Oracle JET 9.1.0
- jQuery 3.5.1
- Monaco Editor 0.20.0